Brand New! Outdoor Hour Challenge
Oregano Herb Nature Study
Words to Describe Oregano’s Taste–Which ones do you agree with?
Pungent, earthy, green, minty, slightly bitter, lemony, peppery
Here are some observation ideas from the challenge.
- Observe the oregano plant’s leaves, stem, and flowers if present. What is the height of the oregano stems?
- Feel the shape, color, and thickness of the stem. Note the arrangement of the leaves on the stem.
- Look at the leaves and observe the shape and veins. What is the texture of the leaf? Taste a few of the fresh leaves if possible. Bring in a few leaves and dry them inside.
- Observe the flowers if they are present. What is their color and size? Do they have a fragrance? Did you see any insects on the plant or flowers?
Remember that the rest of the challenge is available to Ultimate and Journey level members here on the Handbook of Nature Study. You’ll need to sign into your Ultimate or Journey level membership to see the Herb Ebook download.
Outdoor Hour Challenge-Herb Ebook: Download the cilantro sample here.
Included in the Herb Ebook are eight brand new Outdoor Hour Challenges for you to complete as part of your nature study lessons with your children. These challenges are not based on information in the Handbook of Nature Study by Anna Botsford Comstock. You will be using internet links and field guides to glean information about each topic.
- This 49-page digital ebook has 8 challenges and supplemental activities that will help you learn about some popular and common herbs you can easily grow in your garden.
- There are multiple custom notebooking pages for each of the topics. You can choose from simple notebook pages or more advanced notebooking pages.
- There are 6 coloring pages.
- Sample: Print an ebook sample here: Cilantro Nature Study
Here are the specific topics included in this ebook:
- Bee Balm