Brand New! Outdoor Hour Challenge
Basil Herb Nature Study
Basil is an herb that is easy to grow indoors and outdoors. I highly recommend purchasing a small basil plant to use for observations as part of this week’s Outdoor Hour Challenge. It will be a delight to your senses!
Here are some observation ideas from the challenge.
Observe your basil plant using all your senses.
- Look at the leaves and observe the shape and veins. What is the texture of the leaf? Taste a few of the fresh leaves if possible. Would you describe the taste as sweet or spicy? Rub a few of the leaves in the palm of your hand. How would you describe the aroma?
- Feel the shape, color, and thickness of the stem. Does it feel square? Note the arrangement of the leaves on the stem. What is the height of the basil stems?
- Observe the flowers if they are present. What is their color and shape? Do they have a fragrance? Did you see any insects on the plant or flowers?
Remember that the rest of the challenge is available to Ultimate and Journey level members here on the Handbook of Nature Study. You’ll need to sign into your Ultimate or Journey level membership to see the herb ebook download.
Outdoor Hour Challenge-Herb Ebook: Download the cilantro sample here.
Included in the new Herb Ebook are eight brand new Outdoor Hour Challenges for you to complete as part of your nature study lessons with your children. These challenges are not based on information in the Handbook of Nature Study by Anna Botsford Comstock. You’ll be using internet links and field guides to glean information about each topic.
- This 49-page digital ebook has 8 challenges and supplemental activities that will help you learn about some popular and common herbs you can easily grow in your garden.
- There are multiple custom notebooking pages for each of the topics. You can choose from simple notebook pages or more advanced notebooking pages.
- There are 6 coloring pages.
- Sample: Print an ebook sample here: Cilantro Nature Study
Here are the specific topics included in this ebook:
- Bee Balm