Cocklebur Study from the Wildflower Set #2 Ebook (available in the Ultimate and Journey level memberships)
The rough cocklebur (Xanthium strumarium L.) is a widely dispersed plant in North America. See the range map here at USDA Plants.
- You can find lots of images here: Calflora Xanthium strumarium.
- Read more about the cocklebur here: Cocklebur or here Cocklebur.
- If you can’t find a cocklebur, look for common burdock as an alternative study.
Outdoor Hour Time:
Look for cocklebur to be growing in open, often moist, disturbed areas with poorly drained soil. They need full or partial sun. The flowers bloom from July to October.
- Ebook users can use the suggestions in the challenge to observe carefully your cocklebur. Others can make careful observations of the stem, leaf, flower (if any), and seeds.
- Create a nature journal page for the cocklebur using the notebook page provided in the ebook if desired or in your own personal nature journal. There is also a coloring page for the cocklebur in the ebook.
- Start or continue a notebook page for the aster family of plants, listing any flowers in the aster family you observe.
How do you get the Wildflower Nature Study Set #2 ebook?
Members of the Ultimate Naturalist and Journey levels have access to the new ebook in their library. You need to click the “Members Area” button at the top of the website, sign into your account, and the ebook is there to download and save for your family to use when desired. If you don’t have a membership yet, I am offering a $5 off discount code that will be good towards your Ultimate Naturalist membership.
If you are looking for a variety of wildflower, weed, and garden flower notebooking pages to use in your nature journal, I highly recommend this set from NotebookingPages.com. I have used them with my own family in the past and love them. Please note I am an affiliate for NotebookingPages.com and I will receive a small commission if you eventually purchase any of their products after clicking the link above.